The first four weeks after planting produced healthy, green, leafy growth
as seen in these June 16 photos.
At this stage, the plants had reached about 8”-10”. As expected, I did need reassurance from my expert gardener, Mindy, to undertake the next step. I covered the stem and some leaves with more soil.Over the next few weeks as the plants grew, I continued to bury them when they reached about 8”-10”.
As of July 14, I had added soil two more times and the tower was about two-thirds filled. The plants are now producing flower buds. I added soil one more time. The mounds that I planted in the ground nearby have already started to flower so I have stopped adding more soil.They are still looking healthy and strong.
Still cautiously optimistic!
While the potato plants have been doing their thing with minimal involvement from me, I have been doing my thing! Finding great ideas for schoolyard gardens and funding sources to support them. More on that later!