Tuesday, September 22, 2015

HARVEST TIME


A few weeks ago I noticed some “critter” (who will remain nameless) activity, small holes poking into the sides of my potato tower. Early in the season I noticed that something was devouring the string bean, zucchini and lettuce sprouts, a problem I had never encountered. Not sure if it was a rabbit, vole or chipmunk, but there was evidence of small tunnels interspersed in the garden. This new development prompted me to tip over the tower sooner than expected. It was like a treasure hunt digging through the loam looking for the various sized and colored potatoes.

I could only image the excitement and wide-eyed wonder of children doing the same soon after returning to school. This was a first for me and there is nothing like it. As an experiment and learning experience I was not disappointed but thankful I was not feeding a family of six for the winter!  


For the most part I was pleased with my harvest. I am still picking swiss chard, tomatoes, green peppers and chinese eggplant. These vegetables have always been reliable and are ready to be harvested at the beginning of the school year, an ideal time to bring learning outside. What better place than a garden for children to learn about how plants grow,where food comes from, and healthy eating.

I am already thinking of my 2016 garden and will start by adding more compost this fall. I will also make a note in my calendar to plant my potato seedlings a bit earlier in the season, give the them more space and hope for the best. For now, I am looking forward to mid-October and planting some garlic. This is another great crop with huge rewards for the school or home garden.
Freshly Dug Garlic Bulbs



GRANTS TO EXPLORE

New additions!

Nature Works Everywhere Garden Grants

The Nature Works Everywhere program (presented by the Nature Conservancy) is currently accepting applications for garden grants during the 2015–16 school year. Grants will be given in the amount of $1,000–$2,000 dependent upon the needs of the project. Funds may be used to support the building, amendment, or revitalization of gardens on school campuses, with preference given to rain, pollinator, native habitat, and other natural infrastructure projects. 
Food gardens will also be funded.

Apply online by October 28, 2015


This grant is also funded by Lowe's

Captain Planet Foundation 


ECOTECH

Eco-Tech grants are back! Sixteen (16) $2500 grants will be awarded to schools or non-profits organizations for the purpose of engaging children in inquiry-based projects in STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) that use innovation,biomimicry / nature-based design, or new uses for technology to address environmental problems in their communities. 
See more at:

ECOTECH Grant Round Opens October 15, 2015 and closes March 15, 2016


Lowe's Toolbox for Education Grant

Fall Cycle Open / Closed October 16,2015


Whole Kids Foundation

Opens September 1, 2015 / Closed October 31, 2015 

Created in partnership with FoodCorps (https://foodcorps.org/) ,  the School Garden Grant program provides a $2,000 monetary grant to a K-12 school, or a nonprofit working in partnership with a K-12 school, to support a new or existing edible garden on school grounds.


Project Learning Tree GreenWorks!

The deadline to apply is September 30, 2015

PLT offers grants for service learning projects that improve schools or restore natural habitats.


No comments:

Post a Comment